Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Author Wednesdays--Linda Nightingale

                                 © Astine | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images


Today, I'd like to welcome the wonderful Linda Nightingale to For Whom The Books Toll. Linda also brought Morgan from Sinner's Opera and he's agreed to answer some questions. Thanks Linda and Morgan for being here today. So let's get started, shall we?


Linda: What is your greatest temptation?
Morgan: In women: All of them! I love women to a fault. I am a vampire and women fire all my senses. Now, I am trying to be a good boy and focus my attentions on my beloved Isabeau and not finding it the challenge one of my kind would have expected.
In food: Blood straight up, no ice.
In clothes: The wardrobe of my profession is the tuxedo. At my country estate in Devon, I relax into tweeds and sweaters or riding gear. I’m an avid horseman.


Linda: What is your greatest weakness (example: buying shoes)? 
Morgan: Women are my greatest weakness…and necessarily blood. I might add that I am enchanted with the Andalusian (Spanish) and Lusitano (Portuguese) breeds. They are fairytale horses.

Linda: If you could have any kind of car, what would it be? 
Morgan: I have the car I would drive, an Aston Martin Vanquish—black on black convertible—but I miss the candy apple red Jaguar XKE that drowned in Charleston’s Cooper River.

Linda: Drowned?
Morgan: (Sheepish grin with a hint of fangs) You’ll have to read the book. As an aside, Julianne, I’m trusting you with a glimpse of my true appearance. I am not glamoured, a vampire trick, so you can see my fangs and my elliptical pupils. Are you afraid? 
Julianne: (Looks at Linda, then turns head to look at Morgan) Umm, no not really. I'm more excited than afraid.

Linda: Your dream home - mountains or ocean? 
Morgan:  Both. I quite like Asheville, NC for mountains but my ancestral estate, Royal Oak, in Devonshire, England overlooks the ocean that batters its towers.

Linda: Who is your favorite historical figure? 
Morgan:  Me!!!  No, seriously, my friend and king, Charles II, whom I followed into exile after the English Civil War when usurper robbed England.

Linda: Your story?
Morgan: Our story belongs to Isabeau and me:
Morgan Gabriel D'Arcy is a classical pianist, and English lord and a vampire. He has everything except what he desires most--a woman he has loved from the day she was born--Isabeau.
For centuries, he has cherished a dream--a race of immortal crossbreeds possessing vampire strength and human morals. Ambition is not his most important motivation. Love is. When Isabeau, his chosen bride, was a child, he appeared to her as an angel and watched over her. As the Angel Gabriel predicted, Isabeau is now a billiant geneticist. She has come of age, and Morgan is determined to marry her. However, many forces oppose them, not the least of which is Vampyre law. The Vampyre are viral mutations produced by a blood-borne pathogen that alters human DNA. Mating between human and Vampyre is prohibited. The offspring--DarkeChildren--inherit a dangerous gene that drives them insane at puberty.

An enemy from Morgan's distant past is stalking him. Paul d'Alembert seeks eye-for-an-eye justice, intending to kill Isabeau as once Morgan killed his beloved. In fact, his enemies are rapidly closing in on them. Will Morgan have time and an opportunity to make his dream come true--to sire a child on Isabeau? Will he outsmart his enemires, protect her and escape death himself? For the first time in eternity, the clock is ticking.

I supposed I should mention Lucien here. As the High Councilor of Les Elus, the council that rules the Vampyre, Lucien St. Albans is the most powerful vampire in the world. He is my oldest friend but soon may become my worst enemy.



















Excerpt:                                                                                  
                                                                        
For almost four hundred years, I’ve witnessed miracles of technology and the political wars that reshaped the world's destiny. I’ve seen much to hate and a great deal worthy of forgiveness. I was born May 29, 1632, the only son of the Earl of St. Averil and his Lady Ilsabeth de Gueraint D’Arcy. He died at the Battle of Naseby fighting with Charles I. My mother died alone in 1685. By that time, an unnaturally long youth had forced me to fake my own death for the first time. I watched from afar, unable to attend her funeral.
Yesterday, I was a celebrated pianist. I learned my art on the harpsichord from an Austrian genius named Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Later, I studied with Liszt, Ravel and Debussy. From the Duke of Newcastle then the Frenchman de la Gueriniere, I learned classical horsemanship.
Tonight, I am a wanted man. Mortal justice would hang me for a crime I did not commit. My brethren wish to destroy me for a crime I committed with willful intent.
It all began in December, a brief six months ago. Actually, my saga began in 1659 before the restoration of Charles II, but that’s another story...
This is our story—Isabeau’s and mine—our Folie a deux.

Anything you'd like to ask a vampire? Keep in mind that he is beautiful but a svelte and deadly predator.


Buy Links:


Author Bio:
In high school, my favorite teacher allowed me write stories instead of book reports. Like other teenagers, I wrote dark, soul-searching poetry. When I showed my literary jewels to someone in the Editorial Department of the local newspaper, the erudite critic shattered my dreams and put my writing career on hold for over twenty years. In the interim, I bred, showed and trained Andalusion horses. My magnificent stallion Bonito was twice national champion and countless classes. I have two beautiful sons. I visited Costa Rica, Norway and lived in England, Canada, Miami, Houston, and my native South Carolina. I've seen a lot of this country from the windshield of a Dodge Ram truck towing my horse trailer.

I'm a legal assistant, own a baby grand that plays itself since I can't play or read a note. I'm a Capricorn, drive a snappy Z3 in Sterling Gray. I flew to PA to buy the Z, then took a magical journey through the mountains of TN and NC, later chased the calendar back to TX. I enjoy competing in rallies, attending car shows and other events.

Where to find Linda:
Blog
Facebook
Goodreads
Manic Readers
Twitter
Website

Linda is giving away a very nice prize pack to one lucky commenter, a Black Swan coffee mug, some swag and a download of The Night Before Doomsday, the story of the angels who fell for lust…or was it love?
Don't forget to include your email addy so you can be contacted if you are chosen the winner. Commenters have until midnight EST Sunday September 1, 2013.

I hope you'll come back next Wednesday, when my guest will be the awesome Heidi Lynn Anderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment